4.18.2014

a r r o w . s t e n c i l . t u t o r i a l

I have a thing for arrows. Obviously they're ridiculously popular these days on clothes, prints and this amazing wall paper. I pinned this photo on Pinterest quite a while ago and I loved it so much I added it to my screensaver on my phone. If I ever want to do something drastic to my home, I put it as my screensaver and live with looking at it A LOT to see if I still really want to do it. Helps me decide! 

Here is the only BEFORE photo I have of this space. This BEFORE is from the day we closed Escrow. Gross marbled paint EVERYWHERE!!


Here is the tutorial!
source

Here is what you need:
Pencil
Paint
Paint brush (preferably with a long handle//helps with control)
Blade to cut cardboard
Cardboard cut into 7" strip or however long you want your middle line to be
Full Size Arrowhead (base is 4" long)
Arrowhead section cut



Find the Center on the wall that you want to stencil and measure the exact middle of the wall at the top of the wall and mark the center. On your strip of cardboard mark the center and place it on the dot and you can level the line if you'd like, but I just eyeballed it. Draw your line. Then turn your cardboard piece vertical and about 3/4 down the strip make a mark of where you want your next line to start (not shown) then mark and draw your line and continue downwards until you reach the bottom of the wall. 

I measured my wall for 3 columns of arrows and drew all my lines. 

After all my lines were drawn, I then took the full size arrowhead and traced around it at both ends of the line.

I then took the arrowhead section and traced my inside lines like pictured below. 

Continue to draw the inside lines for the amount of sections you want. I wanted 4, so I could have two light and two dark.



Your arrows and lines should look like this 

I have drawn on all my arrowheads and am now filling in my inside lines. 

Once all my arrows are drawn then I start to paint. I chose Urban Bronze from Sherwin Williams SW7048. I free handed the lines.

Once the entire arrow is traced inside and out, then you fill in the sections that you want dark. 

In progress view of the wall. I felt like this area was lacking in color, but LOVING the graphic of the arrow wall.

I love Navy blue, I don't think I really have to explain myself with that. Navy and brass....mmm best combo! Painted my door from my garage in Sherwin Williams Sea Serpent

I decided that I loved the watercolor effect of only doing one coat on the arrows. I love seeing the dimension of the dark and lights mixed together. It's imperfectness is completely perfect in my book.


Finished Product! This entry from the garage into my kitchen is FAR from finished. I have a few projects up my sleeve to add storage with hooks. Stay tuned for those in the future but for now, enjoy your arrow walls!



Here you can see the BEFORE and AFTER. It really does make a HUGE different to add paint to the walls.  For the Gray I used Sherwin Williams Worldly Gray SW 7043



 



If you did this tutorial I want to hear how you did and see your projects photos! Comment below with a link!

No comments:

Post a Comment